Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

I find this holiday more fun now that I have children to celebrate it with. I told them we would have a special pancakes and eggs! They got a huge kick out of it :) I even made the pancakes into heart shapes! John and I are going out tonight after I get off work and I'm looking forward to that. Although today's lunch was a pretty fun way to celebrate our love as a family!

P.S. The eggs turned out prettier then the look in the picture lol.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Finished - Yellow Brick Road Gone Girly!

So yesterday I busted out the quilting and binding on this Yellow Brick Road quilt. It took right around 7 hours! Whew, the boys were super co-operative (Noah napped during most of the quilting) and this was done without *almost* any strife. Only the end of the binding gave me fits, as I was trying out a new technique for meeting up the binding. It turned out great though I had to use my seam ripper a couple of times! I backed the quilt with minkee and I have to say I was VERY glad to have "basted" this using fabric spray adhesive. It really did a great job keeping the minkee in place rather than stretching. Now this quilt is ready for the baby shower on Sunday and I have a big weight off my shoulders. Just have one more coordinating burp rag to finish which should take all of 30 minutes!

Also finished up a pair of socks this morning, but as I was taking my first picture of them the battery on the camera died, so until next time on those. I am also waiting for my personal photographer (also known as my sister Whitney) to take some pics of me in my Undergrowth Hat and Hallet's Ledge Sweater so I can post about them!

Monday, February 7, 2011

A couple things from a BUSY Week!

So I won't touch on EVERYTHING I was busy doing this last week, but here are two accomplishments.

1. The boys room.

I forgot to take a before picture. But the upper half of the walls had been tarp blue. Not a bad color but it had been waiting a year for me to finish the room and I just woke up and realized that I never was going to want to spend the money on the paneling and chair rail. We have many more pressing fixes around that house. So I went to Lowe's and picked out some new paint. Went home and the next day jumped into painting mode! I taped, primed, and painted. here are the results. I'm very happy with it, and the boys (Corbin in particular) though it was a "beautiful blue". I had gone through their room a couple days before that and was ruthless. Now they have a nicely organized room with a place for everything. They have been doing much better at cleaning it up as well (which had been the real goal!).

2. Started a four patch posy quilt top.

This is one of the new classes this session at work. The sample is done in oriental prints and was just lovely. BUT! I have been dying to use a really bold and fun print and decided this was the time to try it! This is easier than some of the other patterns out there using the "stack and whack" method. It means layering four repeats (where the pattern 'repeats" across the fabric) exactly on top of each other and cutting them simultaneously to creat a kaleidoscope effect when they are pieced together. This was harder than I expected (though I should've known) and took me a long time (well longer than I thought it should have). I got it all cut out and have pieced 9 of the blocks so far. I think they are pretty cool. Here's how it looked as I went from step to step :)